My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.cliochiang.com.
Thank you!

1.28.2011

Warning: Girly Post

Some of you may find this information helpful. Or not. I'm just on a kick right now, so bear with me.

Ok, so, growing up I always had the worst skin ever. If it wasn't breakouts, then eczema promised to ravage my hands and destroy all my knuckles. Whenever I travel to a different climate my skin protests furiously and takes it's sweet goddang time recovering once I get home. Moving to LA has completely chapped me out, and I tried a billion different things to no avail. The lady over at Daily Coyote, who now writes a wonderful, escapist new blog called Honey Rock Dawn, recently blogged about some oils she uses that are good for your body and good for the environment! I started using them a couple weeks ago and now my cheeks are smooth as a baby's bottom, nose is not flaking off, and oil production has been controlled. The kukui nut oil has calmed down the eczema and I don't have to buy bottles of that super expensive Aveeno stuff (which is probably full of chemicals anyway). They're so much cheaper and you feel spoiled in the process. Plus you can pour them into little amber glass bottles and blend with essential oils, feeling like a fuggin' wizard in the process. If you're having problems with your skin, maybe you can try her advice. You can find most of the oils at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I ordered a bunch of stuff from the place she recommended, Mountain Rose Herbs.

...The only problem is now I keep touching myself.

14 comments:

Thomas said...

What has worked best on my problem skin is Chandrika soap. A lot of health food stores sell it- it's got a coconut-oil base instead of an animal-fat base (which most soaps use), and I guess that's what makes the difference.

I don't know for sure. I just know it's cheap and it works.

Kendra Melton said...

Thank you so much for pointing this blog out Clio! I LOVE IT! And I share your sentiment with LAs moisture sucking abilities. :]

Jessie Lu said...

Thank you so much for this! I feel your pain~ I've always had skin problems since I can remember. I shall try some of their stuff out!

I probably won't stop touching my face either if it works :)

Faz said...

I'm a huge fan of naturopathy. I've always had terrible acne, but when I removed commercial dairy from my diet and starting eating more vegetables my skin started to immediately heal itself. I find that sweating a lot also helps, and very gentle, but frequent exfoliation promotes new skin cell generation. yay! pretty faces! touching selves!

Jocelan Thiessen said...

i never thought about it but vancouver is a natural humidifier for your skin so LA has got to have problems compared to here... glad to hear you found a erfect solution and i will have to keep an eye out for that when i go to whole foods, after having xen i get some dry patches here and there..

Amy said...

Moving to Portland from sweaty ol' humid Sydney, my skin began to suffer from the extremely dry winters (ironic, considering how much it rains!).
I'll have to look into some jojoba now!
Awesome post, Clio :)

Joanna Davidovich said...

Yay for girly talk about skin care! My two cents: its doesn't matter how fancy the products are, but if you do a three step process day and night of 1) wash/scrub 2) toner 3) moisturizer with regularity, your skin will say thank you. Any time I get lazy and skip the steps, I begin to deteriorate.

Now can you explain iow to get that "smoky eye" look? WIth all my research and experimenting, that is a girl secret I've never been able to figure out.

Also, sweet sketch!

Clio said...

Haha.. I have no idea how to get the "smokey eye" look... I've never figured out that girl secret. To youtube!

Motley said...

Do you still have problems with breakouts? I do and I've always thought oily things would make it worse.

Ashley said...

I recently heard about Argan Oil that is supposed to be fantastic for skin AND it helps control breakouts, but I haven't tried it yet. Hoping to get some soon. Thanks so much for the link to the posts!

Clio said...

Motley: I think I mostly grew out of them, however Jojoba has been very, very nice to me in that department. I'd just get a tiny bit to try, though; I've found online that a small percentage of people will have allergic reactions to it and break out even MORE.

Hmmm! Argan oil, eh? I might have to try that out too!

Sadie Figueroa said...

I can totally relate. I was using Meaningful Beauty....the stuff Cindy Crawford has been advertising....stuff is amazing but pricey. So I think Ill give the oils a try, and hopefully safe a couple bucks.

Love your Valentine cards, I would buy, but i don't have any one to give them to. Is there a way I can purchase one. I would love to put it in my art room :)

eb said...

I find using natural things is the best! Recently started using shea butter on my hair (just a little little bit) I'm hispanic with mixed hair, so a little weight is helpful, especially when I wear it curly. Regarding your new-found moisturizer... What cleanser do you use before applying the oil?

Clio said...

Ugh! The jojoba oil TOTALLY made me break out. I would definitely get the smallest bottle you can to try out first. I generally use the Neutrogena amber-coloured cleanser. It seems to be mild enough and does the job. Aveeno's good too! Tried the oil cleansing method and nope, not for me.