My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.cliochiang.com.
Thank you!

6.26.2007

June almost over??

Yikes, I can't believe the month is almost over and I only posted once. It seems (to me) like I had posted more. Anyway, here's a bit of a remedy to the situation! I've updated my website with a new format (with spiffy lightbox!) and some new art. "Biffany vs. The Frog People" I did to try and get back into painting (a little ambitious), and the lower one is for the Nucleus Ninja Show.


Helluvalot of things wrong with it, but I like that glaring splash of red on the frog.
Completely inspired by Rashomon. This turned out muddier than I would have liked, so maybe... if you squint really hard they look like forest. Speaking of painting, I'm moving to LA at the end of July for a few months to take some courses at LAAFA. I think it'll be great to discover some new ways of seeing and re-learn how to draw. Also, I want to meet the hundreds of you that are down there! Let me know if you're up for showing a Canadian your respite from the Californian sun, and where all you sketchcrawlers/groups are at. This looks super fun to attend, we don't have anything of the sort in Vancouver.

Anyhoo, the good thing about June ending? Ratatouille's out in four days!

Oh, I almost forgot. Here are some spots I did for Shojo Beat's July issue. Should be out about now. It's very candy-coloured.


They grafted their titles onto the books, which is why they're blank here. I haven't seen a print copy of it yet!

23 comments:

G1toons said...

colours work really well together, nice piece

Bez-oy-in said...

Nice work, I too especially like the "splash of red" on the frog. I like the tone of the other piece as well. Enjoy LA! Cheers.

cmj said...

Although I really like the top piece I think the bottom one is just so friggin' clever. It works so well when you just look at it on the blog page and are just like "huh, what's that about?" and then you click to enlarge and boom, ninjas right there for ya. It's just so awesome! Excellent work Clio!

crylic said...

fantastic clio, i love the top piece

max.bot said...

awsome stuff clio.....i like it alot.....long time no talk...how's going lately?? anyway.....i just set up a new blog...u should come check it out some times......here's the link to my blog.....
http://maxhbot.blogspot.com/

Tobias Schwarz said...

great blog!

kadianimate said...

neato! i love colour. colour colour colour. So summery. and canadian, with the extra "u" and all XD

I love the forest men...
and i checked your website and i laughed at your zebra lion picture (which i didn't notice posted on here) funny! I'm so baaaadddd at situational/actually good pieces lol. I'm all... LETS MAKE IT PRETTY AND EVERYONE WILL ENJOY THAT MKAY.

Jörn G Punkt said...

wow, really gooooood stuff here. My first time here (and not my last!)
My fav is the pic with the pradas.

Chris Battle said...

Wow-- you are all kinds of busy! Love those Shojo Beat pieces.(What's not to love about cute girls with pink hair?) See you when you're in smog towne!

Clio said...

Thanks, guys!

Bryce: Had your baby yet??

Max: been super busy, yeah...it's died down a bit now, thankfully. I'll visit your blog!

Kadi: wanted to give people something new when they visited the site ;) The piece is actually in full colour, but that's for the book...though I think it looks a tad better in monotone.

Chris: See you there! Can't wait to meet all of you X)

Will Finn said...

Clio--
something accidentally blitzed your comment on Sheilah Beckett--the best place to find her stuff is in ALIBRIS.COM or BIBLIOFIND.COM --They search by author/title mostly but if you type in her name as a keyword that can help. There are 3 Gilbert&Sullivan ones, which can be found separately or in one volume (being a completist, i got all). She worked right up until the late 80's as far as i know and some of her Golden Books were still in print a few years ago. (The color in the G & S ones are particularly nice, tho). Good hunting!

P.S. love the bottom two spot illustrations!

-Kyle- said...

That Rashomon piece is rad, Clio! Nice work. Consider me jealous of your move to L.A. I've often considered "re-learning how to draw" through more schooling or what have you. Good luck!

Megan Ferguson said...

I love the shojo beat illistrations , the colors are so summer :D

you have such a way of capturing a moment , and useing colors to set a mood - it makes me envyous all over !

plus blue 'n red = best contrast ever

Clio said...

Fantastic, thanks so much, Will!

Hey Kyle! I haven't seen you in person much, but great stuff! Your bgs for Rob are amazing.

Thanks, Megan!

Cale Atkinson said...

Always love seeing what new treasures are posted on your blog Clio! You really are talented like nobodies business! Keep up the great work!

Kanokadafi said...

Love the bottom piece.

Alina Chau said...

WOW!! THese are AWESOME!! Beautiful variety of themes and styles!! U ROCK!

mike said...

those last two are so cute!!

ratatouille 2nite!

Meg Shaw said...

Love the ninja pic! The spot illos make me wish there was summer in Vancouver.

I would love to know how the courses you're taking turn out. I've been looking for something similar in Vancouver, but it's just not out there. Looking at the LAAFA website made me really envious. Sigh.
Good luck in L.A.!

matthieu forichon said...

Great work! I love it!

ggsoulsister said...

Yeah, I've been posting up like crazy on my website. But i stopped. Why, cause I am going into painting more stuff to post mode.

I love the red frog here.

chris chua said...

AWESOME!!! I love these...the Rashomon one made my jaws drop to the floor!

Kat said...

Lovely work! I love the second image. When you see it on your blog it does look like a forest and then when you see the large image it's totally different! Cool !