My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.cliochiang.com.
Thank you!

7.12.2006

Eurotrip Part Two


Heeeeey. Sorry this took so long! Here's part two.... There was a significant increase in downtime as the sun in Italy tried to burn my brain out.


Went to see "The Da Vinci Code" with Bannister and Derek. It was raining pretty hard that evening so we were smooshed together under my magic umbrella while everyone else blew smoke in our faces. They let us in about ten minutes before the movie started, and then there were about 40 minutes of ads. Chyaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............. The code puzzle is pretty dumb. You just hold it up to a light and see through the thing. Bannister figured that one out!


Unhappy-looking people on the metro. I think it was the constant smell of urine and how people would slam their metal spring-seats up. It's really, really unpleasant being on the receiving end of a spring-chair slam. Parisians do a lot of nail-biting.


Card for Dylan, while waiting (very stoked) to see Marie Antoinette.


Very bored doodle page, and the fox that gave the card below...




Last day in Paris *sniff* Went to this really fun restaurant. Didn't have frog, but had foie gras. And escargot. Mmmmmmmmmmm........... FINALLY some good food in Paris - you can't get anything half-way decent for the 10-20euro range. Either get expensive fast food or go higher. So expensive fast food or groceries it usually was.


Drew this after viewing the Nimes Arena (the one that is most fully in-tact... it's only about half the height of the Roman one, though). Just plain silly, the long train ride and sun made me loopy.

Ok, from here on out what is spelt "Guigno" should be "Giugno" - June in Italian. I can't spell under any circumstances.


VENICE. *hearts all over the place* I love the Carnivale mask stores... they're such a blast of eye candy the first time you see them. Can't take a bad picture here. The gondola guys are all in stripes and straw hats... it's a tourist trap come true! Most gondola rowers didn't sing but they each had a unique warning that they sang or called out in repetition when turning tight corners. The water taxis just blasted. God, it's amazingly beautiful in Venice. Here, have an AVI. Wait! Have two.


Fruit mask - we didn't find one that wasn't made in China. Hurrr.


Sounds from my cousin's place, where we were staying. There was a party going on every night so you really couldn't sleep.


Alleyway in Verona.


Ok, there was this utterly amazing carving at the entrance to a park in Bologna... it was a woman with a hippocampus and an octopus. Later on I saw a fountain of Neptune's and the four winds were on there, pinching their breasts where four streams of water spurted forth. (there were other fountains where water had amusing sources but I can't remember them all now)


Had the most expensive gelato in the world in Firenze. Really caught off-guard on that one, grrrn........ Do not go to Perseo's gelato!!!!


My feet were pretty hurtin' by this point in time.


A church near the Roman forum at right, and my griping about the Vatican museum at left.


This is why I did not enjoy the Vatican.


Angels of Death everywhere, and some guards were being very rude to a couple of teenage girls wearing skull pendants. I don't think they were there with bad intentions, they just wanted to enter the prayer area. The guards were being annoying.


Here's a gladiator!


And here's a real modern-day one. The end!! That's it! I'm tired, so apologies for long-windedness and cranky. Off to work!

And for those who are curious, here's the stuff I hauled around:

I mostly used the watercolours because the gouache kept smudging and was not as washable. I also had a flat wash brush and white gel pen but they seem to have run off at the moment.

35 comments:

B Moore said...

Beautiful sketches! Sounds like you had a great time (the crowds aside ...)

Art nerdiness ahead ...

How do you manage carrying around gouache, brushes, water etc.? Got a pic of your sketching kit?

Lynn said...

These are all amazing. I especially like the Verona one!

geenpool said...

have you ever created a bad drawing? I mean seriously...sheesh girl, you rock!!

Clio said...

Brian - I'll try and take a picture of the stuff I hauled when I get back home.

Gene - tonnes and tonnes! They just don't make it to the internet, so I'm really one big cheater.

Thanks, Lynn!

B Moore said...

Awesome, thank you.

Travis Christian said...

I really like the Vatician crowd. That's GREAT!

Ben Balistreri said...

All of your sketches are amzing! Beautiful work!!

Mark Ackland said...

Clio...your drawings are beautiful! Unreal.

Dik Pose said...

Straight AMAZING sketches.. and sounds and looks like you had a pretty good couple of months... Jealousy is boiling over....

Closet Space said...

This is brilliant! Such beautiful and priceless memory-catching pieces. Thanks so much for sharing! I absolutely adore the fox illustration.

RainCookie said...

Cool sketches of your trip in Italy! Keep going :P

Chris Battle said...

Beautiful work! Would love to see more of the trip.

St John Street said...

So much goodies the watercolour or ink work is very beautiful I have been workin with them myself lately I like the thinking involved with getting the result to wish excellent post hope all is well take care!!!

martin wittig said...

Fantastic work! Glad you had a great trip!!:)

-frank said...

great sketches! thanks for sharing them.

back to the up and down weather of van.

mackaydesign said...

Wow. So amazing. So beautiful. Love your work.

B Moore said...

Heh. The "Foto, Wan Euro" gladiator has gotten stuck in my head. The frog waiter is also a joy.

That's quite a kit to haul around! (Thanks for the snapshot.) I'd forgotten that the gouache came in cakes like that.

So when's the next trip? ...

potato farm girl said...

Make a Europe sketchbook, please? These are so funny, original, and beautiful!

Beezle said...

Really nice work here Clio! I love the washes

Cholki said...

Thanks for taking us on your trip. 12 euros for a gelato? Gahhhh

Rick Capistrano said...

I wanna go to Europe now...seems so very inspiring...

Uncle Phil said...

beautiful stuff

Joanna said...

Eyes full of stars...owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

francis said...

Great travel sketches! Hey you know we got taken by that 10euro gelato trick our first day in Italy too. I think it's a tourist thing... they piled on every condiment and candy in the place - you can tell who the tourists are by how tall their gelato cones are. hehe

Alina Chau said...

WOW!! Amazing pages!! WOW!! WOW!! They are AWESOME!

Colpetto said...

ciao,bel lavoro like rovigo...

bannister said...

beautiful watercolors as always, Clio.

I sure decrypted the code, but I didn't win the car... i guess you figured that out.

When are you going to make a scketchbook we could buy, with all this amount of great stuff you made...

Aaron said...

Amazong work! I reallly love the unhappy metro people.

What kind of sketchbook is that, btw? I'm looking for a nice small sketchbook like that that can handles washes without becoming a buckled mess.

Clio said...

Bann - wasn't the biggest thing you could win a cell phone?

Anyway, thanks guys! I'll give some thought into putting these into a sketchbook - wish I took more cohesive notes, though, and drew more from life.

Aaron - the sketchbook is a moleskine. It kind of bleeds through pages but the regular version with thinner paper doesn't! Of course with that one you have the problem of buckling.

Gerald said...

I love the way you lay out your sketch journal. I've always stuck paper and reciepts between the pages. I know they will all fall out sooner or later. Lovely work.

Jazzy Justin said...

Your watercolor on that fancy fox is amazing! Just another person who loves your art.

the doodlers said...

Great sketches and stories! All really nice stuff. You have a terrific ability to create a scene. I love the pissed off 12 euro gelato sketch of yourself, and the crowd at the Vatican and the one of the boorish security guard telling the girl with the skull pendant that she can't enter. The little modern day gladiator is priceless. Thanks for sharing these with us!

Christophe said...

Hi there !

Thanks for the warm welcome ! Canada is indeed a beautiful country :-)
Your sketchbook is incredible ! You have seen more stuff in Europe than most europeans will ever see in their entire life.

hey have you read "A year in the merde" ? Saw it in one of your pictures. Started reading it at the airport in London. Should have bought it.

Clio said...

Gerald: Glue... GLUE.

Christophe: Yup, I was reading A Year in the Merde. Most of it was at a friend's house, but I had to leave and didn't finish it. =(

said...

情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色文學,情色A片,情色小說,色情,情色視訊,寄情築園小遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,AIO,色情遊戲,情色交友,嘟嘟情人色網,情色論壇,色情影片,微風成人,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人影城,18成人,成人聊天室,聊天室,成人電影,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人影片,成人文章,微風成人區,成人交友,走光,巨乳,同志色教館,美女寫真,美女,A片